“Listen to me! For I have excellent things to tell you.
Everything I say is right,
for I speak the truth and hate every kind of deception.”
Proverbs 8:6 NLT
One typical icebreaker question I’m never quite sure how to answer is “If you could meet anyone in the whole history of the world, who would it be?” That question is tough because – in complete honesty – I’m fairly certain that I would turn into a complete moron-version of myself if I ever did meet some of my favorite role models. I imagine it’s an extremely awkward thing to try and have a conversation with someone who knows nothing about you, yet you know everything about them!
Hi, Benjamin Franklin! I really like that you discovered electricity. What was your favorite part about being struck by lightening? How was gout?
I don’t make friends very easily.
Thankfully, God knows that about me and will keep me from meeting most of my role models until I’m in Heaven. In Heaven, I will know how to be BFF’s with all of them. Until then, I am really loving getting to know them through their Biblical accounts! One of my favorites, just discovered this week, Wisdom. She speaks a profound, inspiring autobiography in Proverbs 8 that compels all to seek her.
- v. 6-7: “Listen to me! For I have excellent things to tell you. Everything I say is right, for I speak the truth and hate every kind of deception.” (No human on earth can say this honestly. She has my full attention.)
- v. 12-14: “I, Wisdom, live together with good judgement. I know where to discover knowledge and discernment. All who fear the LORD will hate evil. That is why I hate pride, arrogance, corruption, and perverted speech. Good advice and success belong to me. Insight and strength are mine.” (If I take the time to know God’s Wisdom, I can also know Good Judgement, Knowledge, Discernment, Good Advice, Success, Insight and Strength. That is a peer group I’d love to be a part of!)
- v. 17 “I love all who love me. Those who search for me will surely find me.” (God’s Wisdom doesn’t play games.)
- v. 22-23, 27, 29b-31 “The LORD formed me from the beginning, before he created anything else. I was appointed in ages past, at the very first, before the earth began. I was there when he established the heavens, when he drew the horizon on the oceans… And when he marked off the earth’s foundations, I was the architect at his side. I was his constant delight, rejoicing always in his presence. And how happy I was with what he created – his wide world and all the human family!” (She has history – deep roots – back to a time when it was just God. Wisdom was created by God and Wisdom is found in His creation.)
- v.32-35 “And so, my children, listen to me, for happy are all who follow my ways. Listen to my counsel and be wise. Don’t ignore it. Happy are those who listen to me, watching for me daily at my gates, waiting for me outside my home! For whoever finds me finds life and wins approval from the LORD.” (We are offered wisdom and happiness by following God’s Wise ways and listening, daily and eagerly, to those truths.)
What an amazing Creator we have. Before he even made us, he formed a gift that allows us to live with joy and fullness. We can know him and his will for us through his beautiful Wisdom. And I don’t have to worry about sounding like a moron when I meet her – she welcomes foolish ones.
Dear Lord, thank you for giving us the gift of your Wisdom. I love how skillfully you weave your attributes into an image that I can visualize and understand. Thank you for loving us enough to make us in your divine wisdom and offer us time to know you through that same wisdom. Give us perseverance to continue seeking your wisdom until we meet you face to face. Amen.
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/23808252@N00/5106933825″>volgodonsk war memorial</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/”>(license)</a>